Tuesday, July 12, 2005

 

PART FIVE: Belize City. Never again.

Our bus (shudder) took us into the heart of Belize City, a hideous, shit-stinking dump filled with crackheads, murderers, thieves and other ne'er-do-wells, a city totally unrepresentative of the rest of the country. Even the homeless guys have guns.

We took a taxi-driver's recommendation on a place to stay. BIG MISTAKE. We ended up at a guesthouse in a room with two very narrow single beds seperated by an industrial fan that made a noise like a landing plane. But at 10pm in Belize City after a truly horrendous bus trip, what are you gonna do. The shared bathroom was a basement that stank of sick. The water has a high phosphorous content, which smells like farts and swimming around the dank concrete floor were little bits of shit which I carefully avoided as I had a very unpleasant, but very necessary shower. It reminded me of uni. As we checked out as quickly as possible the next day, I noticed a sign in the foyer which informed guests that smoking in the rooms was punishable by imprisonment. I ducked back into the room and chucked all my ciggie butts out the window onto the burnt-out car wrecks below.

Comments:
You just made my day, Az. Love and kisses!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?